From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] traceroute not working
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:29:06
1 On Friday 22 Feb 2013 15:51:54 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Weird, I don't use it much, but needed to run a traceroute today, and it
5 > is failing with:
6 >
7 > # traceroute 192.168.1.4
8 > traceroute to 192.168.1.4 (192.168.1.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
9 > send: Operation not permitted
10 >
11 > I know the problem is in my firewall, because when I stop it,
12 > traceroutes work as expected.
13 >
14 > I have allowed all ICMP in my firewall:
15 >
16 > Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
17 > target prot opt source destination
18 > <snip>
19 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
20 > <snip>
21 >
22 > Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
23 > target prot opt source destination
24 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
25 >
26 > Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
27 > target prot opt source destination
28 > <snip>
29 > ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp any
30 >
31 > Any ideas what I'm missing?
32 >
33 > I can send all of my firewall rules privately if someone thinks I may
34 > have something that is dropping these packets before my ALLOW rule kicks
35 > in, but I'm fairly sure I have them right...
36 >
37 > Thanks
38
39 I don't know how 'clever' your firewall script is (if indeed you are using a
40 script) and it interferes with your sysctl settings.
41
42 Search for things like:
43
44 net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all = 0
45 net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1
48 Alternatively, do you have another rule that denies connections from private
49 address space on the particular interface?
50 --
51 Regards,
52 Mick