From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need to be in wheel for sound?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:09:18
1 On 27 February 2006 22:13, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 2/27/06, Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > tux ~ # ls -l /dev/sound/
4 > > total 0
5 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 12 Jan 19 20:29 adsp
6 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 4 Jan 19 20:29 audio
7 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 Jan 19 20:29 dsp
8 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 0 Jan 19 20:29 mixer
9 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 1 Jan 19 20:29 sequencer
10 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 8 Jan 19 20:29 sequencer2
11 > > tux ~ # ls -l /dev/sound/audio
12 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 4 Jan 19 20:29 /dev/sound/audio
13 >
14 > These are the legacy OSS device nodes. Most likely KDE is using the
15 > alsa device nodes at /dev/snd/. What are the permissions on those?
16
17 Just read through the thread again. It isn't clear what *kind* of sound the
18 original poster Antoine meant.
19
20 There is a big difference between playing sound files residing on your
21 harddisk and playing CDs in your CD-ROM. For the latter, you don't really
22 need access to those audio devices but to the CD-ROM because a CD player like
23 kscd only sends commands to it and receives responses from it. The CD-ROM
24 then sends the audio stream directly to your soundcard; it isn't really going
25 through your CPU.
26
27 uwe@uwix ~ $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
28 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb 27 14:25 /dev/cdrom -> hdd
29 uwe@uwix ~ $ ls -l /dev/hdd
30 brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 64 Feb 27 14:25 /dev/hdd
31
32 As you can see, the CD-ROm isn't in the audio but in the cdrom group. So if
33 your problem is with CDs add your users to group cdrom.
34
35 If that isn't your problem, play with the options under Control Center ->
36 Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System -> Hardware -> Select the audio device.
37
38 I used to have it set to Autodetect and no OSS support in the kernel. That
39 worked. All of a sudden - probably after the update to KDE 3.5.1, but I am
40 not completely sure here - that stopped working. Setting the "audio device"
41 to ALSA explicitly didn't work either. Now I need the OSS emulation in my
42 kernel and "audio device" set to OSS explicitly.
43
44 Uwe
47 Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list