From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg and KDE on Gentoo going crazy with my laptop display.
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:29:08
1 Erik wrote:
2 > Sometimes the display just stays on forever as if it has
3 > completely forgotten that it should shut off after 1 minute. I always
4 > have kcontrol->Peripherals->Display->Power Control open, because
5 > changing a setting, changing it back and pressing Apply fixes the
6 > problem, but only for a little while.
7
8 I have got the same laptop, and have had the same problem a few weeks
9 ago. It seems that at some point, xorg started interpreting acpi events,
10 in particular LID events. It seems that the 8600 has some trouble with
11 these, as it sometimes generates several LID events in a row, like three
12 "open" then two "close", when the lid was actually closed all the time.
13
14 I could stop xorg from connecting to the ACPI daemon by adding the
15 following option to the "ServerFlags" section:
16
17 Option "NoPM"
18
19 This stopped the backlight turning on and never turning off again.
20
21 To switch the backlight off when the lid is closed, I added the
22 following event handler as "/etc/acpi/events/lid":
23
24 event=button/lid.*
25 action=/etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh %e
26
27 And the attached action as "/etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh". What it does is
28 force a DPMS off when the lid is closed, and switch the graphics chip to
29 a lower frequency. As you're using the radeon driver (I am using the
30 fglrx driver), you'll have to comment out the lines calling $ATICONFIG.
31
32 HTH.
33 -- Remy

lid.sh text/plain