From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome-2.16.3 - problems with the desktop not painting - no icons or wallpaper
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:55:10
1 Hi,
2 I originally posted this on the AMD64 list when it happened to my
3 desktop machine. I've updated my son's machine to gnome-2.16.3 and now
4 have the same problem there. I've searched the forums to no avail.
5 Same with Bugzilla.
6
7 The symptom is that when logging in the Gnome splash panel comes up
8 and says 3 things, the last being 'Nautilus' where the splash panel
9 hangs. The Gnome panel then comes up but the desktop doesn't paint so
10 you don't have icons or access to files left on the desktop. The
11 machine is otherwise functional. The menus work as does Ethernet,
12 etc., so I could call up Firefox and write this email.
13
14 On my AMD64 machine I went back to 2.16.2 which didn't fix it so I
15 removed everything with gnome in the name and did an emerge -e world.
16 After that I emerged Gnome again and 2.16.2 is working. I am not
17 anxious to go thought that again on my son's machine so before I start
18 that process I figured I might write and see if anyone has some ideas
19 where to look.
20
21 I don't see anything very strange in top while the splash panel is
22 up. Somewhere along the way the panel finishes waiting for whatever
23 it's waiting for, I see a flashing dialog window that cannot be read,
24 and then I have the desktop with nothing on it. Just the panel at the
25 bottom.
26
27 Has anyone reading this list had a problem like this? Any solutions
28 or ideas where to look?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Mark