From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another X11 problem
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:24:27
1 On 08/25/2016 12:52 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-08-22, Adam Carter wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program),
5 >>> my display goes all black. When it happens there is no way back to
6 >>> a working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it by
7 >>> hitting Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not recover.
8 >>> The only thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and reboot, and
9 >>> next time it usually works.
10 >> Have you checked dmesg and syslogs for messages?
11 > Yes. Nothing (significantly) different when this happens.
12 >
13 >> Try a newer kernel and see if it goes away.
14 > I'm reluctant to go there before nailing it down a bit more, since
15 > it only happens intermittently and a newer kernel will quite possibly
16 > introduce other problems.
17 >
18 I don't remember if you specified your appended command-line kernel
19 parameters ( lilo / grub / grub2 ). I have an AMD Phenom II x4 980. The
20 parameters have a major effect on the video ( i.e. AGP / IOMMU usage ).