From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @system
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:08:10
1 On 29/08/2016 21:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:04:08 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >
4 >> I remember someone (Dale?) some time ago being dismayed at the large
5 >> number of packages that would be installed by emerge @system.
6 >>
7 >> Now I see what he meant: on this box 401 of the 1103 installed
8 >> packages. I'd like to construct a set that would create a reliable
9 >> basis for building the rest of @system and @world.
10 >>
11 >> I have a small rescue system on the same disk, also ~amd64, which
12 >> doesn't have X or any desktop programs but otherwise is configured for
13 >> the same setup. Would it be sensible to use the 44 packages in that
14 >> @system as a new set @sysbase on the main system, or would I miss
15 >> something important?
16 >
17 > Surely the addition of X, and maybe kde or gnome, to your USE flags is
18 > what is causing so many packages to be pulled in by @system.
19 >
20 > I found something similar when building a new system recently, @system
21 > pulled in X and a shedload of dependencies. Switching to a non-desktop
22 > profile meant far fewer packages were needed to get a basic system.
26 Don't forget that @system only lives in a context, and the context is a
27 real computer.
28
29 Out of context it's just a list of strings. In context, it's strings
30 that means packages, with deps and everything else that needs to be
31 built for @system to mean anything on the machine it's added to.
32
33 One never needs to define @system, that is already done in a profile so
34 it's not something that means sense to migrate or re-use elsewhere.
35 Don't worry about @system, worry about USE and get that right. Emerge
36 will deal with what it takes to give the user the @system he's really
37 asking for.
38
39 Or maybe I don't completely understand yet Peter's actual question.
40
41 Alan