From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 19:08:57
1 On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 Mark,
6
7 I recompiled the kernel with more stuff as module, but I just had an
8 idea to make sure the Behringer is the only card in the game: I
9 disabled HD audio in the firmware settings. So: both Opera and Chrome
10 play Youtube. aplay plays music files just fine, as it did before.
11 Audacious also works (it requires modifying the former settings;
12 that's probably what was missing before). So, I would say everything
13 works, except stuff like discord. To my shame, I didn't check the logs
14 with enough attention: it says:
15
16 [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_pulse_linux.cc:1547): failed to load symbol table
17 [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_pulse_linux.cc:145): failed to
18 initialize PulseAudio
19 [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_impl.cc:377): Audio device initialization failed.
20
21 (To my defence: the ebuild does't try to pull pulseaudio; one would
22 assume that it would be a dependency)
23
24 Hence: no mystery at all, just the usual with linux nowadays.
25
26 I'll keep searching for some audio chat package that works. mumble
27 seems promising, but it requires an available server. zoom (which most
28 people @work use) doesn't emerge. slack does emerge and vomits a
29 totally unresponsive window (well, not *totally* unresponsive: Ctrl+Q
30 works :))
31
32 Since you use pulseaudio (per your latest post): can you send the
33 contents of a wav file to an external DAC via toslink, without
34 pulseaudio messing with the file? (Most people don't seem to care
35 whether the signal is first converted to analog, and resampled, and
36 converted to digital, and whatnot, before leaving the computer...)
37
38 I appreciate the enormous amount of effort you put on this.
39 Thanks
40
41 Jorge