From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.20-r6 panics with strange message
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:47:21
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Montag, den 30.04.2007, 17:24 +0200 schrieb Hemmann, Volker Armin:
4 > On Montag, 30. April 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
5 > > > > Yes, CONFIG_UNIX=y
6 > > >
7 > > > that is not the reiserfs option.
8 > >
9 > > I'm aware of that. But another PC with the 2.6.19
10 > > kernel and an IDE drive panicked until I set
11 > > CONFIG_UNIX=y. Didn't help in this case.
12 >
13 > well, you should have set sockets, because it is THAT way to communicate with
14 > the kernel. So CONFIG_UNIX has to be y.
15
16 Nope, Unix sockets are usually not the commonly chosen way for
17 kernel<->userland communication. They're used for machine-local (w/
18 exception of clusters) inter-process communication. But I think that
19 init would struggle w/o CONFIG_UNIX and, of course, udev. So Maxim might
20 have hit problems there. But that's just nitpicking here ;-)
21
22 @OP: You can scroll kernel boot output using Shift-PgUp/-PgDown. From
23 what you can see there you should be able to tell whether your HD is
24 recognized or not and what's its device name (which you must hand to
25 the kernel via the "root=..." kernel command line parameter).
26
27 -hwh
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list