From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:58:15
1 On Aug 13, 2012 11:04 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:17:23 -0400
7 >> Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
10 >> > wrote:
11 >> >
12 >> > > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:11:37 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
13 >> > >
14 >> > > > > I have one of those. But I decided to stick with traditional DOS
15 >> > > > > partitioning style and grub instead of GPT and grub2.
16 >> > > >
17 >> > > > I am leaning toward traditional partitioning, but with grub2. Do
18 >> > > > those two not mix well?
19 >> > >
20 >> > > GRUB2 works fine with MBR partition tables. But if you're starting
21 >> > > from scratch, you may as well use GPT and get rid of the legacy MBR
22 >> > > limitations and fragility.
23 >> > >
24 >> >
25 >> > I'm not dissing GPT...but what's fragile about MBR?
26 >>
27 >> it's 30 years old,
28 >> only 4 primary partitions,
29 >> only 16 extended partitions,
30 >> it's got that weird DOS boot flag thing,
31 >> it all has to fit in one sector.
32 >>
33 >> I had to fix a mispartitioned disk over the weekend, this really should
34 >> have been a simple mv-type operation, but because all 4 primary
35 >> partitions were in use I had to disable swap and use it as a leap-frog
36 >> area. It felt like I was playing 15 pieces with the disk. That's
37 >> fragile - not that the disk breaks, but that it breaks my ability to
38 >> set the thing up easily.
39 >>
40 >> Basically, mbr was built to cater for the needs of DOS-3. In the
41 >> meantime, 1982 called and they want their last 30 years back.
42 >>
43 >> Just because we can hack workarounds into it to get it to function
44 >> doesn't mean we should continue to use it.
47 > You misunderstand me. I wasn't arguing that GPT wasn't perhaps more
48 elegant than MBR and dos partitions. I wanted to know what was _fragile_
49 about MBR. Completely different things.
52 Well, for one, MBR has no copy, and it is not protected from corruption.
53
54 GPT has 2 copies: One at the head of the disk right behind a "legacy MBR",
55 and another at the end of the disk. Both copies are protected by magic
56 strings and CRC.
57
58 Rgds,