From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the best way to force a particular version of a dependency
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 21:07:22
1 n952162 wrote:
2 > On 2020-06-07 21:30, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 2:56 PM n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The emerge that I used was this:
6 >>>
7 >>> emerge -auDv --verbose-conflicts --changed-use --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps --backtrack=100 @system
8 >> Yeah, you might have to include the other packages that need readline
9 >> if portage complains.
13 > This, indeed, seems to have been the magic.
14 >
15 > By specifying *both* @system and @world, two of my machines that I
16 > worried were lost-causes are now updating - hundreds of packages, but
17 > that's okay, I've been pulling my hair out for months.
21 For future reference, @world includes @system.  My updates tend to work
22 like this:
25 eix-sync && emerge -uaDN world
28 I have the following options in make.conf as defaults.
31 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
32 --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
35 Emerge applies those as is appropriate.  First it syncs the tree and any
36 overlays that are enabled.  Then emerge starts building the list of
37 packages that need to be updated.  Sometimes if you try to do system by
38 itself, it can cause problems because something in world may depend on
39 something that system is wanting a upgrade.  Thing is, that creates a
40 conflict and emerge won't be able to upgrade.  If however you upgrade
41 world, which includes all packages, then emerge can include the packages
42 in world and figure out how to update both sets, system and world.
43
44 Unless you have a really good reason to do so, you shouldn't try to
45 update system by itself.  It limits emerge and can lead to issues.  The
46 easiest way is to update world and let emerge update everything at
47 once.  There may be exceptions to that at times but they are not that
48 often.
49
50 Hope that helps.
51