From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 16:20:48
1 On 2019-07-27 07:42, Aidan Harris wrote:
2
3 > I run openrc with rc_parallel enabled and I end up booting so fast
4 > that by the time ntp-client starts DNS resolution is not properly
5 > available yet (I use a local DNS resolver so even though networking is
6 > up my local resolver takes a while - a small while, but enough of a
7 > while to be a problem - to be "ready") so the service fails to
8 > start. To work around this I added a few lines of shell to the start
9 > function:
10
11 I take it that you stick with the default ntp configuration, with
12 syncing from a pool. I do not; I have found a few public stratum 1
13 servers relatively close to me, and I use them in general, via their IP
14 addresses and not via their DNS names.
15
16 On my desktop and on my Pi, which do not need mobility, I don't even do
17 that: I sync to my router. It makes a fine stratum 2 NTP server :-)
20 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
21 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
22 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
23 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.