From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to set in kernel for hi-res console terminal
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:19:10
1 On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 16:18:16 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'm starting a new vbox install of gentoo using the minimal ISO from
3 > 07/13
4 >
5 > When it gets to the kernel setup... I cannot figure out what to set
6 > to make my console terminal high resolution. Something along the line
7 > of 1600x1200.
8 >
9 > I understand this can all be done in the kernel now. But cannot
10 > really get a good fix googling on what is needed there.
11
12 It used to be the case before KMS you could ask the BIOS what video modes are
13 supported, by adding on the kernel line:
14
15 vga=ask
16
17 It should show a table for you to choose what you prefer. I understand these
18 days KMS takes care of this and uses the native video resolution, but if you
19 must use vga you will probably have to set:
20
21 vga=normal nomodeset
22
23 to bypass the kernel's framebuffer intentions. I am not sure how you can
24 tweak the native KMS resolution.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick