From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:24:00
1 Apologies for the elementary questions, but I'm a bit slow to change (smile).
2
3 In designing my new machine, I assumed that I would simply transfer
4 the CD drive from the existing box to the new one,
5 but (1) the new mobo seems to have only SATA sockets
6 & (2) CD drives seem to be going the same way as diskette drives,
7 so I'm now planning to buy a new DVD drive & to start using DVDs.
8 I wb using them only for back-ups, not playing music or videos.
9
10 This looks like a good enough item :
11 ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA Black R 48x W 8x OEM : CAD 24,99
12
13 Can anyone answer a few rather basic questions ?
14 (1) do I need to configure the kernel to find the drive ?
15 (2) what software do Gentoo users use to read/write DVDs ?
16 (3) are there rewritable DVDs, as there used to be rewritable CDs ?
17 -- among the specs are much slower speeds labelled 'RW'.
18 (4) anything else I sb aware of ?
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca