From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 another thread
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:22:52
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I didn't want to derail the existing thread discussing ext4 with this
3 > angle ... I'm guessing there may be comments that will not be helpful
4 > to that OP.
5 >
6 > I'm wondering what people running ext4 are seeing in practice that
7 > makes it better than ext3 or reiserfs? Is it safer journalling? Faster
8 > read/write? ...
9 >
10 > I've thought about switching over too... especially every time I
11 > `rm -rf' something big and it seems to take way longer than I'd like.
12 >
13 > (I run all reiserfs except ext2 for /boot)
14
15 On my desktop, I'm using ext3 via ext4's driver (on-disk format is
16 still ext3). There are theoretical improvements but I haven't noticed
17 anything honestly.
18
19 On my laptop I converted to actual ext4 format and don't notice
20 anything different... I did not do any tests or take any measurements,
21 but there was no "wow" factor or anything. It just works normally.
22
23 Both of these are single-user home computers. Maybe someone in a
24 high-load environment has better ideas about it.