From: "Timothy A. Holmes" <tholmes@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Remote desktop to WinXP from Gentoo
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:06:34
1 > On Sunday 01 October 2006 21:04, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > > Mick wrote:
3 > > > Hi All,
4 > > >
5 > > > I want to access remotely my father in law's laptop which
6 > is running
7 > > > WinXP to help him out with his IT problems.
8 > > >
9 > > > I assumed that krdc will do just that, but all it does is
10 > to ask me
11 > > > for the password for my kdewallet and then it fails. The error
12 > > > message tells me something about ensuring that remote
13 > desktop is properly installed.
14 > > > :-(
15 > > >
16 > > > Is there somewhere a How-to for me to follow, to be able
17 > to connect
18 > > > to a remote default installation WinXP PC, with no
19 > physical access
20 > > > to it, from my Gentoo machine?
21 > > >
22 > > > Failing a How-to, how do you do it?
23 > >
24 > > emerge net-misc/grdesktop
25 >
26 > Thank you. Given that grdesktop is just a gnome front end
27 > (equivalent to krdc, which I believe requires vnc) are any
28 > solutions that work with the default WinXP remote
29 > desktop/remote assistance set up?
30 > --
31 > Regards,
32 > Mick
36 I go from my gentoo laptop running fluxbox to all sorts of different
37 computers running windows RDP constantly -- I use KRDC. When it fails
38 on the wallet, just ok it and you should get the windows login screen
39 anyway --I would say the bigger problem is his connection to the
40 internet. It is LIKELY that his ISP does not have those ports open, for
41 inbound (a way to get more money) that is the way our ISP here is - I
42 cant even get NTP through :(
43
44 Contact me off list if you need more help -- it works slick for me
45
46 TIM
49 Timothy A. Holmes
50 IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
51
52 Medina Christian Academy
53 A Higher Standard...
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list