From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:52:17
1 Alexander Skwar schrieb:
2 > Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> star supports p7zip which can be much better and especially more
5 >> flexible than bzip2, gzip and zip.
6 >
7 > Uhm, what's bad about
8 >
9 > tar cf - | p7zip ....
10
11 It's a bit cumbersome to create a pipe each time I access an archive.
12 Well, I think I'll create a shell script or an alias for that.
15 >> If star were a fully qualified replacement for gnu tar, there would not
16 >> have been the need to keep it
17 >
18 > To keep GNU tar, you mean? Well, there's at least a reason to not ONLY
19 > have star: Star is made by Jörg Schilling, one of the biggest morons
20 > on the earth. Guess why some distributions no longer use cdrecord but
21 > switched to cdrkit?
22 >
23 >> I used find and grep to search for any implementations of tar
24 >> compressing to stdout - I couldn't find any.
25 >
26 > What do you mean?
27 >
28 Just that I used regular expressions to search for tar writing to
29 stdout, something that star can't, apparently. It seems it didn't work.
30 Not all but some emerge actions failed while using star.
31
32 >> I'll move /bin/tar to /bin/gnutar and make a symlink from /usr/bin/star
33 >> to /bin/tar.
34 >>
35 >> Let's see if it works.
36 >
37 > Command line options aren't identical. I wouldn't wonder if you run
38 > into problems.
39 >
40 Well, most are. I ran into problems anyway (see above). So, I'm back to
41 gnu tar.
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list