From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to see make output when emerging a package?
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:36:10
1 On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 at 19:23, Dex Conner <cantcuckthis@××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi everyone
4 >
5 > I've tried setting --quiet-build=n and --quiet=n but to no avail
6 > because I have --jobs set to higher than 1. I've checked
7 > /var/log/emerge.log but that's only the emerge output not the make
8 > output that I'm looking for. What am I missing here?
11 You're missing that the make log is in a separate place for each package.
12 Usually in /var/tmp/portage somewhere. As you noticed, setting --jobs
13 higher than 1 automatically sets --quiet-build, and makes it unable to
14 activate.
15
16 It will tell you after portage is finished about any failed packages, and
17 where that log is, but if you want to see all that output while it's
18 compiling you'd need to script a way to automatically check for new
19 build.log files in /var/tmp/portage as new package compile jobs starts and
20 monitor them.
21
22 Basically, my advice is to use --jobs=1 if you want to see the output.
23
24 Regards,
25 Arve