From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Question about duplicate lines in file
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:03:01
1 On Tuesday, 13 June 2006 2:49, Teresa and Dale wrote:
2 > Raymond Lewis Rebbeck wrote:
3 > >On Tuesday, 13 June 2006 2:12, Teresa and Dale wrote:
4 > >>Hi folks,
5 > >>
6 > >>I have batched a bunch of servers in my hosts file to block, for ads and
7 > >>all that crap. I got them from several different places, some I have
8 > >>found too, and am sure there are dups in there, same server but pasted
9 > >>from several sources. I am not a programer at all and don't even really
10 > >>know what to search for. I would like to remove the duplicate entries
11 > >>and then put them in alphabetical order if I could. I would gladly then
12 > >>make this available if someone wanted to host it. I don't have a place
13 > >>to host it.
14 > >>
15 > >>Oh, there is 15,000 entries in my hosts file. O_O
16 > >>
17 > >>Could someone tell me how this is done? May even learn something here.
18 > >>If I can do this, I'm sure I will.
19 > >>
20 > >>Thanks.
21 > >>
22 > >>Dale
23 > >>
24 > >>:-) :-)
25 > >
26 > >'uniq' and 'sort' should do what you're after, check out the man pages.
27 >
28 > Thanks, read the man page, it was short so it didn't take long. I tried
29 > this:
30 >
31 > uniq -u /home/dale/Desktop/hosts /home/dale/Desktop/hostsort
32 >
33 > It doesn't look like it did anything but copy the same thing over.
34 > There are only 2 lines missing. Does spaces count? Some put in a lot
35 > of spaces between the localhost and the web address. Maybe that has a
36 > affect??
37 >
38 > Thanks for the help. I had never seen that command before. I had heard
39 > of sort, never used it though. I do have those on my desktop. I'm
40 > playing with copies instead of my real hosts file.
41 >
42 > Thanks again.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
46 > :-) :-)
47
48 Yes the spaces matter, you could possibly use 'tr' to turn all repeated spaces
49 into a single space.
50
51 $ tr -s ' ' < filename
52
53 That should do it, then you can pipe it through uniq and sort and do whatever
54 else you want with it.
57 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
58 --
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list