From: Karl Huysmans <karl.huysmans@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Lightwheight Gentoo System
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:27:28
1 Hi All,
2
3 A friend asked me to install "some" operating system on an old Dell laptop
4 he got for free.
5
6 The laptop has a pentium 2 400 MHz, 6 GB HD and 256 MB RAM, and will be used
7 by his young children.
8
9 I have tried to install Edubuntu on it, looks nice, has a lot of very
10 usefull stuff for kids, but it really runs too slow on this machine.
11
12 So I was thinking Gentoo, optimized for PII, I guess -Os would be a good
13 option for this little machine. Any thoughts anyone?
14
15 What about the desktop? I guess Gnome or KDE is not really the best choice.
16 But what else could I use? Of course, it's for kids, so I have to be able to
17 make it look nice :-) What would be a good window manager? File manager?
18 Other applications that help to keep it lean an fast?
19
20 Anyone with any experience building such a system under Gentoo?
21
22 Thank you
23
24 Karl