From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 5.4.0
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 16:40:59
1 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >> This is something I have noticed that changed since the gcc upgrade.
6 >> One, Firefox seems to use less memory. It's not a whole lot less but it
7 >> is less for sure. It also uses a lot less CPU power. Used to if I had
8 >> two or three Firefox profiles running, I could see 20, 30 and sometimes
9 >> even more CPU usage. Gkrellm would have a good bit of orange and the
10 >> little needle thing would be hovering around 30 to 40% on all the cores
11 >> with it spiking to well over 50% quite a lot. Closing Firefox would put
12 >> it down to single digits so I know it was Firefox causing this. Now,
13 >> with 4 instances running, it is hovering around 10 to 15%.
14 >
15 > Yeah, I monitor GCC changelogs closely...
16 >
17 > A while back they were talking about their new code de-duplication pass
18 > and how, as an example, in Firefox it removed over 30,000 duplicate
19 > functions...
20 >
21 > I really don't know what's going on over at the mozilla project these
22 > days. I still use Seamonkey because it has all my e-mails but its
23 > performance is fantastically awful these days.
27 I use Seamonkey for email and related things too. I use Firefox for
28 some other things, it has more add-ons than Seamonkey. To me, it seems
29 as if Seamonkey is not getting the attention it used to. It's not lean
30 and mean, it's fat and slow. I'm not sure what makes it so tho.
31
32 I'm glad Firefox is better tho. Makes me wonder about the next gcc. o_O
33
34 Dale
35