From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:02:21
1 On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:31:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I'm soaking up a lot of your time (again). I'll return with any real
4 > > Gentoo questions I run into and to run down the final plan before I
5 > > execute it. Thanks so much for your help. Not sure what I'd do
6 > > without you. :)
7 >
8 > I'm sure Neil would step in if I'm hit by a bus
9 > He'd say the same things, and use about 1/4 of the words it takes me ;-)
10
11 So far in this thread, I've managed about 0/4 of the words you've used...
12 Oh damn!
13
14 But yes, a build host and adding --usepkg=y to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in
15 make.conf gives a massive speed increase. Run the build host in an easily
16 recovered environment, like a VM, and you don't even have to monitor the
17 world update on it, just run a script in the early hours that does emerge
18 --sync && emerge -uXX @world and check your mailbox for errors before
19 running emerge on the "clients". The use clusterssh or dsh to update them
20 all at once.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Q. How many radical feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
27 A. Two - one to change the bulb and one to write a book about the passive
28 role of the socket.