From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Netboot questions
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:51:50
1 On Wed, 2 May 2007 14:40:13 +0200
2 Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Ah yes sorry there. Then I cannot help you, since I have no experience
5 > using netboot/pxe. Sorry
6 > Greetings Jan Seeger
7
8 Well, dave, I look to be one of the few who have done this. I think I
9 can give you a hand.
10
11 > 1. I can still compile/emerge on the frontend but its very slow as its
12 > on NFS. Can I compile on the server by chrooting? Basicallly I want to
13 > know if I can compile on EMT64 targeting AMD64. The frontend was
14 > installed with stage 1 so I guess the compiler won't even run in a
15 > chroot'ed environment.
16 Various NFS tweaks can help with this. The biggest difference I
17 noticed was allowing async NFS mounting -- and a substantial difference
18 it was. During an emerge (genlop in this case) My sync-mounted router
19 'davey' gets about 2M or less per second on the server's hard drive,
20 whereas the async-mounted 'slim' achieves speeds more on a reasonable
21 scale of 5M or more; lag is significantly lower as well. After
22 emerging I wanted to show what genlop said of the install speeds...
23 | davey linux # genlop -i genlop
24 | Global build time: 32 seconds.
25 compared to
26 | slim ~ # genlop genlop -i
27 | Global build time: 7 seconds.
28 I didn't think such a small package was a very good example, so a
29 dependancy, DateManip, is also shown:
30 | davey linux # genlop DateManip -i
31 | Global build time: 7 minutes and 31 seconds.
32 compared to
33 | slim ~ # genlop -i DateManip
34 | Global build time: 27 seconds.
35 Here's the server export options from exportfs:
36 | /nfsroot/davey 192.168.1.1(rw,wdelay,no_root_squash)
37 | /nfsroot/slim 192.168.1.86(rw,async,wdelay,no_root_squash)
38 And from fstab on the clients:
39 | 192.168.1.87:/nfsroot/slim / nfs rw,async,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 0 0
40 | 192.168.1.87:/nfsroot/davey / nfs
41 | noauto,wsize=1024,rsize=1024,sync,noatime 0 0
42
43 Although the async mount was scary at first, I haven't had any
44 problems. slim is my media PC.
47 >2. The Gensplash is compiled into the kernel. It appears at startup
48 >with the 'Initialising kernel' screen but the progress bar never
49 >appears.
50 I'm not a gentoo spash user, but I'd wager you need to provide the
51 splashscreen images and whatnot to the kernel. The kernel and any
52 initrd/initramfs images must live on the TFTP server to be provided to
53 PXE, and I would imagine the same thing would be true of a
54 splashscreen.
55
56 >3. My DHCP server issues static routes, but since I've made the
57 >frontend boot over PXE (static IP address) it never gets the routes.
58 >Any ideas?
59 Contrary to popular opinion, there's nothing wrong with using dhcp to
60 assign ip information -- At least, that is one of the few things that
61 my net-booters haven't suffered from. My kernel invocation is
62 something like
63 | DEFAULT /bzImage.davey.2.6.19.new
64 | APPEND ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.87:/nfsroot/davey
65 As you can see, I use PXE-Linux and I recommend it. (I would be
66 interested to hear from you if you got PXE-Grub working because I never
67 did.) the useful /usr/src/linux/Documentation/nfsboot.txt suggests
68 that:
70 |
71 | This parameter tells the kernel how to configure IP addresses of
72 |devices and also how to set up the IP routing table.
73 This option might solve the problem, but I'd think you'd have better
74 luck using dhcp as I do.
75
76 Best of luck,
77 Dan