From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted drive setup at login and locking on logout.
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 10:19:51
1 On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 04:53:24 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > ecryptfs-utils is the userland management of the kernel's ecryptfs.
4 > > Ecryptfs uses an overlay filesystem to encrypt files within a
5 > > directory, it is what Ubuntu uses for encrypted home directories
6 > >
7 > > cryptmount is for working with LUKS filesystems, which appears to be
8 > > the route you are leaning towards. I haven't used it and don't know
9 > > what advantages it has over a user script, if you want to manually
10 > > mount the filesystem, or /etc/crypttab.
11
12 > I thought Gentoo used /etc/conf.d/dmcypt?  I still haven't figured that
13 > part out yet.  I need to read up on that more.  I'm not sure what it
14 > does exactly, yet.
15
16 It may do, I only encrypt everything-but-/boot or nothing at all.
17
18 For your use case, encrypting part of your home directory, ecryptfs may be
19 more suitable.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Ralph's Observation - It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object
26 to realize that you are in a hurry.