From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL > MariaDB - is it time?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:18:32
1 On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I just came across this thread today on the MariaDB discuss list about the
6 > poor stewardship of Oracle with respect to MySQL (and it references
7 > Oracle's track record of poor handling of the FLOSS projects it inherited
8 > when it bought Sun):
9 >
10 > https://lists.launchpad.net/**maria-discuss/msg00514.html<https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00514.html>
11 >
12 > In it is discussed - among many other things including lots of good reason
13 > *why* - the possibility of replacing MySQL with MariaDB in anticipation of
14 > Oracle's current poor stewardship of MySQL...
15 >
16 > My question is - shouldn't gentoo be considering this move as well?
19 > I've been seriously considering this for my own servers for some time, and
20 > after reading this, I think it is time to stop thinking about it and just
21 > do it, but I'm a bit nervous - ianap, and don't want to shoot myself in the
22 > foot in the process.
23 >
24 > Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?
28 It's definitely an interesting dilemma, but one that was expected to happen
29 eventually. Lucky Gentoo doesn't have to worry about release cycles.
30 MariaDB is in portage so, in theory, it shouldn't be too difficult for any
31 of us to make the switch.
32
33 - Matt