From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:11:58
1 On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:08:06PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:00:02 +0100, Willie Wong wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?:
4 >
5 > >On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:15:08PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
6 > >> You run your emerge --sync jobs by hand?!!!
7 > >
8 > >Why is that surprising?
9 >
10 > Because emerge jobs produce copious amounts of output that is difficult
11 > to read as it scrolls past. I much prefer the cron daemon or at daemon
12 > to send me the output as email, so I can scroll backwards and forwards
13 > through it at my leisure.
14
15 What output do you actually read from syncs? For builds, is it really
16 wise to do all updates unattended? Also, for builds, there is such a
17 thing as elogs (which allows you to save all messages to
18 /var/log/portage for ease of reading at your leisure. You can even
19 configure it to select what types of messages are saved): I neither
20 need nor want to scroll through pages and pages of mostly useless
21 output only to find the ewarn messages.
22
23 I'm sure you have a good reason for wanting to do things your way, and
24 I do not claim mine is better. I am just surprised that you sounded
25 surprised to find out some people don't do things your way.
26
27 > >My laptop does not have an always-on internet
28 > >connection, nevermind it sits silently and off for most of the day. I
29 > >"sync by hand" when I have time, roughly twice each week.
30 >
31 > Well, when your laptop is powered off the cron daemon won't run the
32 > emerge jobs, so that's really a non-issue.
33
34 Actually, the cron daemon won't run because I don't have a cron daemon
35 installed on the laptop. And I don't have a cron daemon because having
36 periodic jobs only make sense if the computer is likely to be on when
37 cron is triggered.
38
39 Cheers,
40
41 W
42 --
43 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
44 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
45 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton