From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:50:44
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 06/28/2009 10:16 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM, pk<peterk2@××××××××.se>  wrote:
5 >
6 >>> Why Windows? I'm merely curious, not trying to criticize...
7 >
8 >> No offense taken. All the trading is done on the Windows platform
9 >> using proprietary trading platform apps. All the datafiles are
10 >> therefore sitting in Windows and it just seems easier...
11 >
12 > So true, and that's exactly where M$ wants us.  I need to use a
13 > couple of M$-specific apps for the same reason, and much to my
14 > joy they both run very well on recent versions of wine.
15 >
16 > I first tried wine years ago when it was running only 16-bit
17 > windows apps and I gave it up as nothing more than a toy -- but
18 > things have *really* changed since then!
19 >
20 > Wine is a toy no longer, it's a powerful tool and I'd urge you
21 > to play with it at for a week or two to see what it can do.
22 >
23 > They have an apps database that lists popular windows programs
24 > that are known to run under wine (or not) and what you need to do
25 > to get them working.
26 >
27 > http://appdb.winehq.org/
28 >
29 > I don't see Trade Station listed there but you could be the first
30 > one to get it working :-)
31
32 I used to be an app maintainer for wine. I know about it and support
33 it but no longer us it. I tried TS maybe a year ago. It wouldn't even
34 install much less run. There's no good way for Wine developers to
35 debug the problems as it required a funded account for anyone to run
36 it.
37
38 Sorry, but I'd never risk REAL money trading a Windows app in like TS
39 in Wine, vmware, xen or anything else that the app wasn't specifically
40 written for. The very last thing I wanted to do with this thread is
41 create some sort of religious war. It's not my intent. I do however
42 STRONGLY support your right to become a full-time, fully automated
43 trader trading every day with your own money like I have. Then you'll
44 have the right to decide what to do with your money for real as
45 opposed to making suggestions about what I do with mine.
46
47 Yes, M$ wants us there, and you can go check the TS forums (or maybe
48 you can't if you don't have a trading account - I don't remember) to
49 find the 50 times I've asked TS to port their platform to any distro,
50 any revision of Linux. The number of people responding in the positive
51 is large, but TS has no visible intention of do it so I'm locked in.
52
53 Please, let's drop the M$ stuff from this discussion. R will like work
54 out nicely for me. I can run the trading on windows, because it's the
55 only practical solution, but I can share a drive over the network and
56 use R on Gentoo reading those files. Please don't assume that because
57 I use Windows that I prefer it. FAR FROM IT!
58
59 With best regards,
60 Mark