From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage parenthesis
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 03:49:25
1 On Sunday 01 October 2006 22:36, Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××××××××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Portage parenthesis':
3 > The parentheses denote flags that are masked by your profile, e.g.
4 > selinux is only available on the selinux profile. Some
5 > hardware-specific flags have this as well, e.g. altivec is masked on
6 > non-ppc profiles.
7
8 Also, while in those examples, the masked flag is forced OFF, flags can
9 also be forced ON by the profile, e.g. the multilib flag.
12 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
13 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
14 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
15 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh