From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's wrong with my USE= statement in /etc/portage/make.conf?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 22:33:26
1 On Sun, 18 Oct 2020, Ashley Dixon wrote:
2
3 > Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:12:45
4 > From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's wrong with my USE= statement in
8 > /etc/portage/make.conf?
9 >
10 > On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 04:45:06PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
11 > > The ansifilter package won't build on this system yet. Certainly one to
12 > > get in future though.
13 >
14 > I'll see if I can send you a binary off-list. It's not a particularly
15 > complicated package, so I reckon you should be able to run a pre-compiled
16 > executable without many issues.
17 >
18 > > I have a /etc/portage/package.use subdirectory containing zz-autounmask
19 > > file.
20 > > Do I need to append sys-auth/polkit elogind to the end of that
21 > > zz-autounmask file?
22 >
23 > If package.use is a directory, that's fine (and recommended). Every file in the
24 > directory, and any subdirectories, contains package.use entries, all
25 > concatenated together by Portage when processing. If you want, you could append
26 > the entry to zz-autounmask, but you could also do something more elegant:
27 >
28 > /etc/portage/package.use $ mkdir sys-auth
29 > /etc/portage/package.use $ echo "sys-auth/polkit elogind" > sys-auth/polkit
30 >
31 I hope the USE variable was entirely too rich. I shortened it
32 considerably and saved the make.conf file so some duplicate work can be
33 speeded up. I'm taking the system to bare metal and will use the
34 make.conf file I have without earlier steps that are causing several
35 packages to compile fail.
36 I will be curious if I get further this next time.
37 More later when I discover and I'll search ansifilter on other linux
38 flavors since that to my mind is a seriously useful program when handling
39 typescript files.