From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE, sddm etc security. Plus LVM question.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:08:03
1 On 19/03/2022 08:03, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I been thinking.  Yea, that's dangerous.  lol  If I logout of KDE, or
5 > have the screen locked, ctrl+alt=L key sequence, how secure is that if I
6 > have good passwords that are virtually impossible to crack?  My login
7 > manager is sddm.  As a example, if someone breaks into my home, is there
8 > a easy way to get past that?  I recall the old windoze 98 days where a
9 > certain key sequence would bypass the password prompt.  Is there a way
10 > known to crooks and such that can bypass or easily defeat passwords?
11 >
12 I'm not aware of any such shortcuts. There are always bugs, and design
13 flaws, and I believe there is such a design flaw in X such that it's
14 POSSIBLE to bypass a screen-lock.
15
16 > I'm aware that if a person boots up where no password is required, that
17 > will bypass, even as root if I recall correctly.  I'm just looking for
18 > something that is even easier than that.
19 >
20 Actually, systemd is actively working on closing that hole ...
21
22 > Also, if I have a encrypted hard drive open and mounted and then cut off
23 > power, doesn't that disable the decryption for the drive?  In other
24 > words, I pull the plug and someone powers it back up, the drive is
25 > encrypted again and requires a password.
26
27 Yes. If you even so much as SUSPEND your system, it's considered a
28 serious bug for the encryption key to be flushed to disk - it has to be
29 wiped - and with no key decryption is no longer possible.
30 >
31 > Also, I'm planning to reorganize and encrypt some more stuff here.  I
32 > want to remove one hard drive from my home thingy.  Is it really as easy
33 > as pvmove /dev/sdx the device I want to remove?  From my understanding I
34 > need to reduce the file system first.  Is that correct?  I'm often
35 > amazed at how easy some things can be done with LVM.
36 >
37 I think you mean pvREmove and, provided you have sufficient unused space
38 in your PV greater or equal to the size of the drive, yes it really is
39 that simple. Of course, if you have LESS free space, LVM will be unable
40 to move everything off sdx and you're going to lose data.
41
42 If you're planning to re-organise by adding larger disks, check out
43 whether LVM has the equivalent of "mdadm --replace ...", where md-raid
44 will move stuff on a running system.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Wol