From: Matthias Guede <matthias.guede@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot configure Synaptics Touchpad - Disabling Tapping & synclient
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:17:08
1 2007/4/24, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > I'm having a hell of a time configuring my Synaptics Touchpad. Basically,
5 > I'd like to disable the annoying "tapping" feature; with tapping, they
6 > mean, that the user shortly "hits" (taps) the touchpad and this is then
7 > interpreted as a click. This annoys the hell out of me, as I accidently
8 > tap the touchpad when I type something and as a result, I continue to
9 > type at the wrong location. Anyway, enough of the whining - I'd like to
10 > disable tapping...
11 >
12 > On various places on the internet, like http://linux-on-laptops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112
13 > or http://copland.udel.edu/~doke/dell_d810/, I found, that it should be
14 > good enough, to add
15 >
16 > Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
17 >
18 > to the Section "InputDevice" in the xorg.conf file. As you can see in
19 > my xorg.conf file at <http://askwar.pastebin.ca/453131>, I did that.
20 > Nonetheless, I'm sadly still able to use that annoying tapping feature :(
21 >
22 > As this did not work, I tried to use graphical configuration tools
23 > like gsynaptics, ksynaptics or synclient to access the touchpad. All
24 > of these tools require, that
25 >
26 > Option "SHMConfig" "on"
27 >
28 > is added to the xorg.conf. Instead of "on", I also tried "true", "1"
29 > and "yes". None of these work - all the time, when I run one of the
30 > aforementioned tools, I get an error message, stating something reg.
31 > SHMConfig. For synclient, it is:
32 >
33 > alexander@blattli ~ $ synclient -m 20
34 > Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
35 >
36 > I'm using on ~x86:
37 >
38 > alexander@blattli /etc/X11 $ X -version
39 >
40 > X Window System Version 7.2.0
41 > Release Date: 22 January 2007
42 > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
43 > Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.19-suspend2-r3.045 i686
44 > Current Operating System: Linux blattli 2.6.19-suspend2-r3.neu.001 #3 Sun Apr 15 11:44:24 CEST 2007 i686
45 > Build Date: 19 March 2007
46 > Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
47 > to make sure that you have the latest version.
48 > Module Loader present
49 >
50 > Is anyone able to configure a Synaptics Touchpad? If so, any idea
51 > what I'm doing wrong?
52 >
53 > Thanks,
54 >
55 > Alexander Skwar
56 >
57 > --
58 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
62 This may not be exactly what you are looking for. But with
63 "ksynaptics" (kde-misc/ksynaptics) tapping can be disabled - and it
64 works, at least for me.
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list