From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Update] - was 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:57:44
1 On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 16:29 -0400, Robert Crawford wrote:
2 > If you are using the thermal pad, tape, or grease that came with the stock
3 > heatsink, you might try using some arctic silver compound instead. It's good
4 > for a 3-5C. drop from the regular stuff. Sometimes even the AMD approved
5 > stock heatsinks don't do the job, and you might need to get a better one
6 > (assuming heat is the problem). I build a lot of computers, and with AMD
7 > cpus, overkill in the cooling dept. is sometimes necessary.
8 >
9 > Robert Crawford
12 As I posted earlier:
13 ----------
14 Here is what I have done:
15 1.) Disable Network controller on the motherboard and install another
16 one on PCI bus - this eliminate possible IRQ conflict.
17 But it didn't help.
18
19 2.) Removed the heatsink clean it with 99% isopropyl alcohol and applied
20 thin layer of new heatsink grease.
21
22 Nothing helped, still getting that message:
23 Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler.
24
25 Next option, is to try to remove SATA drive and try to install Gentoo on
26 standard IDE drive; this would eliminate SCSI problem and/or buggy
27 driver.
28 -----------
29
30 If the IDE drive will not solve the problem I'll try as you suggest that
31 "arctic silver compound" (or just run that useless box only during
32 Winter - here in Edmonton sometimes it gets down to -40C it might
33 help :->
34
35 I'm simply running out of ideas.
36