From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:04:22
1 On a related note, what is the most correct procedure for restarting a
2 service after an update to a service (say named or cyrus-imapd or apache
3 or sshd)?
4
5 I've been doing something like this:
6
7 # emerge -v openssh
8 examine config file differences and make any adjustments that are
9 required to be done by hand.
10 # /etc/init.d/sshd stop
11 # mv -i /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_sshd /etc/init.d/sshd
12 # /etc/init.d/sshd start
13
14 But I've noticed that there are cases when this general procedure
15 doesn't work. Perhaps because binaries change location between package
16 versions and the old /etc/init.d/service script presumes the old package
17 binary location and the new package has already been installed so the
18 new binaries are no longer with the old startup script thinks they are.
19 In those cases, I usually find the service with ps and kill it by hand,
20 then zap the service and start it again, using the new start script, but
21 maybe there's a better way. Seems to me that it might be better to do
22 something like this:
23
24 # /etc/init.d/sshd stop
25 # emerge -v openssh
26 examine config file differences and make any adjustments that are
27 required to be done by hand.
28 # mv -i /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_sshd /etc/init.d/sshd
29 # /etc/init.d/sshd start
30
31 But if I'm remotely logged in to the box using ssh, then this has some
32 obvious problems (my connection to the box goes down when I turn off the
33 sshd daemon).
34
35 Any thoughts on this issue?
36