From: Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kwin opengl compositing w/ nouveau?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:23:03
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 22:50, Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Two things come to mind, given some recent trouble I've had on the
3 > radeon side of the coin here, and with an intel system or two in the
4 > past. The DRM related drivers seem to be prone to misbehaving when
5 > they're not configured as modules. I haven't managed to sort out why,
6 > so you may see if a change there helps, though it'll likely cause mode
7 > changes throughout the booting process. The second thing that comes to
8 > mind is that you don't include any relevant entries from glxinfo
9 > (glxinfo | grep ender) or Xorg.?.log (notably anything flagged as an
10 > error, 'grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log' grabs that, plus a bit of cruft),
11 > notably from a session where things aren't working properly, as the
12 > majority of issues trace back to direct rendering being disabled due
13 > to some incompatibility that gets noted in the log (often in
14 > delightfully cryptic prose).
15
16 I converted nouveau to a kernel module:
17 $ lsmod
18 Module Size Used by
19 nouveau 579746 -2
20 cfbfillrect 12485 -2
21 cfbimgblt 12313 -2
22 cfbcopyarea 12313 -2
23 drm_kms_helper 27209 -2
24 ttm 57762 -2
25
26 switched the kwinrc to OpenGL, ran startx. KDE loaded (I saw the
27 splash screen and heard the startup noise) but then nothing was shown
28 on the desktop (so I couldnt run glxinfo as I couldnt see anything)
29
30 Ive attached Xorg.0.log and xsession-errors herein. Bad.tgz has
31 versions of these files from OpenGL whereas good.tgz has versions from
32 XRender.
33
34 FWIW, the only 'EE' in the Xorg log is missing 'fb' and 'vesa' modules
35
36 Also I do not have an xorg.conf if that makes a difference
39 Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@×××××.com)
40 Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
41 douglasjhunley.com
42 G+: http://goo.gl/sajR3