From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] AMD64 LiveCD 2007.0 problem
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:52:09
1 This morning I decided that it's finally time up update Gentoo to match
2 the new mobo & CPU installed several months ago.
3
4 First 2 attempts to boot from the LiveCD complained of an X
5 configuration error. This didn't seem quite right as the video is
6 simply the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI's on mobo video. However I did want a
7 command line and got it, so things were more or less OK.
8
9 The "less OK" part is that I wanted to use the following partition map:
10 /dev/hda1 31 MB /boot
11 /dev/hda6 9.7 GB /
12 /dev/hda8 153 GB /home
13 What I got was (if memory serves)
14 /dev/sda1 /mnt/LiveCD
15 /dev/hda6 /mnt/cdrom
16 as /mnt/cdrom was Read-Only, this precluded installing there. So, I
17 rebooted several more times with the following result:
18
19 NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU 0
20 CPU 0
21 Modules linked in: siimage r8169 snd_hda_intel ...
22 ... swapper Not tainted 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 #1
23 ...
24 Code: 7e f9 eb f2 c3 fa f0 ff 0f 79 09 f3 90 83 3f 00 7e f9 eb f2
25 <0> Kernel panic - not syncing:L Aiee, killing interrupt handler
26
27 I've gotten this same NMI error the last 4 times I've booted -- even
28 using a second copy of the 2007.0 LiveCD that I happened to have.
29
30 Any suggestions of what to do?
31
32 Thanks.