From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:11:00
1 nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) writes:
2
3 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> Does this mean that twice a year when the clock changes I need to boot into
6 >> MSWindows first to allow the time change to take place, or is there a Linux
7 >> side fix for my dual boot set up?
8 >
9 > You can write something so that Linux changes the clock, but then be
10 > sure Windows is not set to change it.
11 >
12 > A better (read "more complicated") solution would involve some sync
13 > mechanism between both operating systems so that one can tell if the
14 > other already changed the clock.
15 >
16 > Unless windows now supports UTC clocks, you have to live either with
17 > this or with an always on winter clock on windows.
18
19 The last paragraph is not actually correct, sorry for that: many of you
20 will get weird hours on Windows if you set the clock to UTC. Here it is
21 just winter time because this is WEST and WET (Europe/Lisbon and
22 others), and our winter time happens to be UTC+0000.
23
24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_European_Time
27 Nuno J. Silva
28 gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg