From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] KVM problems - anyone know _why_ it happens?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:55:51
1 I've seen reports for years about folks having problems with some KVMs
2 under Linux. I've never personally had one myself. However I've been
3 helping a Windows friend break his Redmond addiction over the last few
4 months using Gentoo. He has a nice 3 monitor KDE-based system that's
5 been working fine but there was one monitor that refused to set up
6 with the right resolution. We left it alone for a long time as it was
7 usable but finally yesterday got together to figure out what was
8 happening. From the title it should be clear that the problem was a
9 KVM hooked to that one monitor. Removing the KVM completely solved the
10 problem.
11
12 Now, what I'm wondering is why this same video card/KVM/monitor
13 combination which apparently worked in Windows should have any
14 problems in Linux? Anyone know why?
15
16 In the spirit of full discloser I don't really know that this
17 _specific_ video card was tested in Windows, but he owns multiple
18 NVidia 8400GS cards and it's my understanding that other 8400GS cards
19 did work with this KVM & monitor, so unless it's this specific card
20 having a defect, or even being just a bit weak in some way, it would
21 seem to be the insertion of the KVM itself that upset things.
22
23 Looking at the monitor's specs/requirements for running the higher
24 resolutions it uses, as should not be a surprise, higher frequencies
25 to do higher resolutions. If the KVM was filtering those a bit then
26 it's possible things wouldn't work, but that doesn't explain why it
27 did work in Windows.
28
29 Basically, I looked around in Google for anyone that had real info
30 about why this problem occurs, couldn't find any that made sense, and
31 am wondering how to choose a KVM that's going to work out of the box
32 short of asking for model numbers, etc.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark