From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sparse files and df
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 08:26:07
1 On Sunday 24 May 2009 08:42:07 Mike Kazantsev wrote:
2 > Now I know that df can actually show weird results sometimes but I
3 > wonder why (re)moving files from a file system doesn't affect it's
4 > output at all.
5
6 I had this on an Oracle machine a while ago - huge amounts of space being
7 consumed by files that are not there. It was deleted files to which a running
8 process still had an open handle.
9
10 lsof | grep 'deleted' reveals these buggers
11
12 > Do I really have 5G there which will be depleted soon and there's
13 > nothing I can do to help it?
14 > If not, how come anyone trusts df output at all when it can report
15 > almost-empty fs to be almost-full?
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com