From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] resizing and moving home directory to new partition on same drive
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 07:58:50
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com>
3 > Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 05:07
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resizing and moving home directory to new
6 > partition on same drive
7 >
8 > Can I use "nano" to edit /etc/password file all I need to change is the
9 > user:x:1000:1000::/home/user:/bin/bash
10 >
11 > to:
12 > user:x:1000:1000::/mnt/home/user:/bin/bash
13 >
14 > Or I need to use: "vipw -s"
15
16 I've always used vi for those, but only because I did not know there was a dedicated command! Anyway, these look like wrappers that set a lock and then invoke your editor. I suppose that in a single user, single admin environment it does not make much difference using nano vs vipw. BTW I don't think you'd need -s with vipw, the shadow file only contains password-related info which you do not want to change.
17
18 raffaele