From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is recommended behavior for complete updating of an old system ?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:27:38
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:46:41 +0100
2 Jimmy Rosen <listjiro@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Primary:
6 > What is a recommended way to update an old system to minimize the
7 > amount of broken ebuilds?
8 > Is emerge --emptytree world a good idea? Is it better than a clean
9 > install? Or is the documentation's way good enough even for a very old
10 > system:
11 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
12 > emerge --depclean
13 > revdep-rebuild
14
15 For an old machine that takes a long time to compile, or an embedded system -
16
17 emerge sync once per week and let it run over the weekend doing updates.
18
19 About once per year -
20 - emerge sync
21 - ufed and check out the USE flags. Some changes occur and they need a
22 bit of cleaning.
23 - emerge -eav system (no need to d world.)
24 - emerge -uDNav world
25 - python-updater
26 - perl-cleaner all
27 - revdep-rebuild
28
29 > I have an unexplainable fobia against --depclean though.
30
31 Then don't. All you care about is the programs you currently use, those others
32 just sit there taking some space. If you're not obsessive about a little disk space, why
33 wipe them off the disk?
34
35 > And updating
36 > everything at once seems a bit reckless, I mean with the age of the
37 > system it would update almost everything. The package list was a mile
38 > long, and you never know what will break.
41 That's why you should keep on a regular update schedule. A lot of programs get
42 fixed, USE flags change, dependencies change, configuration options get updated.
43
44 > Secondary:
45 > How often should one update the system to minimize hassles with broken
46 > packages?
47
48 Me? I do most of my working systems daily - takes about 10 minutes for all 4 systems.
49 Home systems - daily or weekly. Laptop monthly. Better to see a small problem show
50 up than wait for it to be buried in a lot of updates and then have to find out which of
51 10 or 20 packages caused the issue.
52
53 > Too often, and the hassle of constant upgrading can get tedious even
54 > if it works ok, and too late, and some odd dysfunctional version
55 > combinations start showing up that the packages were not really
56 > tested for, leading to broken ebuilds.
59 Have you run other distributions where you get the massive binary updates 3 times per year?
60 Have you had to fun of doing minor package updates in between the massive updates and
61 then find that the massive update leaves your system completely borked because of conflicts
62 with the minor updates? And I mean you don't see these until the system tries to reboot, and
63 then it sometimes won't do that.
67 > I did like this:
68 > I didn't want to run a clean install or an --emptytree thingie. I
69 > wanted to take it a few steps at a time, so that if something broke I
70 > might have an idea about what new packages it was that broke it.
71 >
72 > 1) take a backup of the system. I have some modifications
73 > in /etc/init.d scripts and some extra non-gentoo stuff for clustering
74 > installed that I didn't want to risk, and I was pretty sure something
75 > would bork and leave me clueless. lol
76 >
77 > 2) emerge sync. Nice, worked.
78 > emerge *only the most important stuff* (oh, I'm really chicken btw):
79 > portage, baselayout, etc.
80 > That brought in some dependencies, but it worked out all right after a
81 > while and a lot of figuring out the /etc/init.d and config file
82 > changes that has happened for the last 1.5 years. And some other
83 > changes as to where certain configs go, and how, and so on. But most
84 > was easily searchable in docs or forums.gentoo or on this list.
85 > Reboot here to see if it even booted any more... YEEAAAH!
86 >
87 > 3) emerge basic user packages like gcc, glibc, xorg (yes I was still
88 > on xfree) kernel, etc.
89 > note: I have to stay on 2.4 because I use openmosix for the
90 > clustering, and I don't yet trust 2.6om.
91 > For this I started using --update --deep since I did want an updated
92 > system, but not all at once.
93 > This still worked out all right, with just some minor headaches of
94 > broken ebuilds. And some config files again.
95 > hrmmpf kernel change means reboot. darned.
96 >
97 > 4) emerge --update --deep desktop stuff like KDE, openoffice,
98 > browsers, etc...
99 > This started generating Looooooooots of broken packages. I have spent
100 > many hours looking through the _VERY_NICE_ bugs.gentoo.org. I still
101 > get bitten by bugs that are filed fixed in mid 2003. lol
102
103 So here's something to chew on - you are running a cluster with a boat load
104 of desktop apps. And desktop apps have tons of libs that are needed. Plus
105 the desktop and their apps change a lot - there is a lot of churn in desktop apps.
106 They are going to break more often. Waiting will just make the breakage worse
107 and cause all the compiles to occur at one time, instead of being spread out.
108
109 > Some more config file updates, and restarting all significant services
110 > to use the new software.
111 >
112 > 5) Now, muahaha, emerge --update --deep world. Aiaiai. Another batch
113 > of broken packages, but not the critical ones, since most everything
114 > necessary has already been updated.
115 > Some more config files. I _really_ like dispatch-config and cfg-update
116 > by now.
117 >
118 > 6) Well, I'm here now. The system works just fine. And yes, I recently
119 > remembered that I had forgotten to update the USE flags to cover the
120 > current situation (stooopid teflon memory). But I hope I can wait
121 > until the current few remaining problems are out of the way, and then
122 > I can perhaps (hope and pray) use the eminent and functional(?)
123 > --newuse (and I do so very much hope works with/as --deep).
126 You should use them together - emerge -uDNav world
127
128 > I still have some problems, mainly with skype, which works but have
129 > some odd dependency thingie with dbus that emerge doesn't like. And
130 > revdep-rebuild tries to bring in some stuff that are no longer in
131 > portage. Interesting, though, is that
132 > equery depends '=pack-group/packagename-x.y.z'
133 > doesn't report anything depending on those old packages any more after
134 > all the updates. How can I figure out what wants them?
137 Try the packages with emerge -uDNav package package etc...
138
139 > revdep-rebuild? is it safe to use, and safe with --package-names
140 > (since just about every single package it's trying to bring in is no
141 > longer in the portage tree)
144 All it's doing is creating an - emerge, command. If you run - revdep-rebuild -p,
145 then at the end of the pretend mode, do a - rm -rf /root/.revdep-rebuild.*,
146 you can take the emerge line and do as many or as few as you want.
147
148 > What somethingsomething-update programs should I run during the
149 > process?
150 > python-updater
151 > perl-clenaner
152 > java-config
153 > opengl-update
154 > modules-update
155 > --- what am I missing -- ?
158 Nothing really if you do the --newuse, as well.
159
160 > Is udev supported on 2.4.26+? would it be useful instead of devfs? and
161 > is there a *really* good guide for switching (that might warn me of
162 > the common problems I'm bound to run into)?
166 No. Udev is 2.6 only. And a good guide is -
167 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
170 > In retrospect it might have been faster to simply do a reinstall or
171 > --emptytree. Sorry for issuing such a blasphemous statement on this
172 > list.
175 No, you just need to do the system - emerge -e system
176 The rest will take care of itself through a emerge -uDNav world.
177
178 Have fun!
179
180 Bob