From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] managing RAM usage
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:25:59
1 >> I'm trying to maximize the number of servers I can run on my machine
2 >> without running out of physical RAM. I noticed something strange when
3 >> comparing top and free statistics:
4 >>
5 >> top says each PID associated with a particular server has a RES of
6 >> about 100M. Does that mean each running instance of that server
7 >> reserves 100MB? Since there are 20 of these servers running, this
8 >> seems contradictory to the output from free which indicates less than
9 >> 1GB used -/+ buffers/cache.
10 >
11 > RES does not mean reserved. It means resident.
12 >
13 > "man top" and searhc for RES for more info
14
15 OK but from what I can gather the concept is the same which is that
16 RES indicates how much RAM the process is using.
17
18 >> Is there any way to monitor RAM usage over time to see how close I'm
19 >> getting to using all of my physical RAM?
20 >
21 > Not really if instantaneous values is what you are looking for.
22 >
23 > All tools that purport to display "memory used" and "cpu load" values on
24 > an instantaneous basis basically lie through their teeth, and it's a
25 > fallacy to try and interpret such results to gain anything meaningful.
26 >
27 > It can't be any other way actually - memory usage can change
28 > dramatically 10,000 times a second, and that is precisely what the
29 > computer is designed to do, and to do it fast, and to do it invisibly.
30
31 Good point. I suppose we would need the Linux memory system to do
32 some kind of built-in self-monitoring.
33
34 > "using all of my physical RAM" is also a concept that really makes no
35 > sense in any meaningful way. You can't treat it like eg the amount of
36 > water left in a bottle. All of memory is always in use all of the time,
37 > it's always doing *something*. Most of it is under the kernel's control
38 > and is used for caching, and the kernel is free to move things around as
39 > it sees fit. Memory is also shared, you can easily have a situation
40 > where 10 apps each have access to Y megs of RAM and total memory in use
41 > is still only a little bit more than Y
42
43 Does this explain why I can see 20 processes in top with 100MB
44 resident RAM each and free only indicates 1GB used -/+ buffers/cache?
45 If so, how can I go about setting apache2 MaxClients and other server
46 process limits so as to maximize performance and prevent an OOM
47 condition?
48
49 > The best you can really do is keep an eye on what free says, and to
50 > graph the trend.
51
52 Can you recommend an easy way to do that?
53
54 - Grant