From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 02:08:03
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:44:02PM +0200, Arnau Bria Ram??rez wrote
2
3 > Maybe I don't understand the benefits of your action, but what
4 > advantages do you get doing so? I always do a emerge -uD world,
5 > so package and its dependency... I do not care if dependency it's
6 > in world or not...
7 >
8 > Please, could you please explain a little more your post? I'm intrigued...
9
10 What I said was, when doing the install...
11
12 > > - start off with a basic text-console-only install
13 > > - and then I fire up "emerge gimp" before heading off to work
14
15 It's not necessary to figure out what dependancies are required.
16 Portage will do it for you. You do not need to waste time figuring out
17 how to build X or parts of GNOME or KDE separately. Of course, if you
18 want the GNOME or KDE desktop, then you'll have to install it
19 explicitly. I run with Blackbox. Only the necessary parts of GNOME and
20 KDE are pulled in and built.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
24 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
25 --