From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 00:34:19
1 On 2013-09-29 02:01, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Next, we'll have to have C: even tho we never had to have one before.
4 > ROFLMBO
5
6 I would hesitate to laugh because that's where Linux is heading... And
7 Alan and other's are right in that it's not udevs problem per se; it's
8 all the half-desktop services[1]/applications that requires access to
9 the libs in /usr for some unknown reason. This will (eventually) affect
10 any operating system (even FreeBSD) that want to run things like, say,
11 Gnome. This is feature creep on steroids.
12
13 I just wish there was this simple system that would look like this:
14
15 boot loader -> operating system -> applications
16
17 ...with a clear separation/well defined interfaces between them. Used to
18 think Linux was a good compromise but not anymore... What you have now
19 is something monstrous where application libs are part of the operating
20 system. Hence the requirement of no separate /usr. At least if you run
21 any of those things (like PAM - if some module require access to
22 PKCS#11, Kerberos, Consolekit etc.). Personally I wouldn't touch them...
23
24 In my opinion, this has gone way beyond what used to be called
25 "spaghetti code" and into what I would like to call "spaghetti system".
26
27 [1] Used to be called daemons but now people have adopted the Windows
28 name for it.
29
30 Best regards
31