From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT crypto] How to encrypt a directory without root?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:19:24
1 On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:09:03 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > > Why not just tar up the underlying encfs partition? The data
4 > > is already encrypted, what's the point of decrypting it to encrypt it
5 > > again? That way you don't need to rely on any encryption software on
6 > > the remote computer.
7 >
8 > I wanted the option of decrypting on the remote if need be... that is
9 > if my home machine is not accessible for whatever reason.
10 >
11 > For example, if I wanted a forgotten password laying in a text file
12 > but encfs encrypted and on the remote. When for one or another reason
13 > I cannot get it from the home machine.
14 >
15 > In your scenario, I'd need access to both home machine and remote at
16 > the same time to first get the blob of encrypted data off the remote
17 > and then to decrypt it on home.
18
19 Then use rsync instead of tar, then you can mount the remote filesystem
20 using sshfs and encfs to read individual files. It's a little slow as you
21 are layering two FUSE filesystems, but quicker than downloading a
22 complete tarball just to get at one file. I've used this method with an
23 online backup service and it works.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 3 things happen as you age: 1) Your memory goes; 2) uh..um