From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: where is /dev/ttyS* ?
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:18:48
1 > Oddly, running kernel 2.6.16, it is showing up as
2 > /dev/ttyS2, so I had
3 > to re-run wvdialconf (the only such package that
4 > ever detected the
5 > modem as /dev/ttyS14, by the way). Although I
6 > cannot be certain, I
7 > suspect that serial support in the 2.6.X kernel
8 > series has gone
9 > through another evolution.
10 >
11 > Alan
12 >
13 One difference I noticed is in
14 /etc/conf.d/net.example. Much more extensive
15 configuration for dial-up. Basically, it asks you to
16 copy over the provider file under /etc/ppp/peers
17
18 Also, when I did an emerge ppp on the 2.6.16 box in
19 the log it mentions the new way of doing things, ie
20 using ../conf.d/net
21
22 But I just noticed I had to rc-update del net.ppp0
23 default or it would a) dialout when booting and b)
24 fail to connect.
25
26 So I just do what I've always been doing pon <my-isp>.
27
28 -mw
29
31 Do You Yahoo!?
32 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
33 http://mail.yahoo.com
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list