From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:09:22
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > пн, 19 окт. 2020 г. в 18:13, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >> gevisz wrote:
4 >>> пн, 19 окт. 2020 г. в 02:18, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
5 >>>> On the modules or in kernel, I compile all mine in the kernel. The only
6 >>>> modules I have is my nvidia video drivers. There's pro's and con's to
7 >>>> each so whatever works and you like.
8 >>> I actually asked a question not about the choice between "in kernel"
9 >>> or "as a module" but about "to build or not to build" at all. :)
10 >>>
11 >>> So, once more: Is it better to compile the driver for my HDMI audio
12 >>> device or not, if I am not going to use HDMI audio output?
13 >>>
14 >> Ahh. Well, if you build it and then need it later, it's already there.
15 >> If you don't and then need it later, you have to go back and build it
16 >> and may be in a hurry. I tend to get all hardware working even if I'm
17 >> not using it at the time.
18 > I have just thought that it may be better if the kernel knows how to
19 > deal with this piece of hardware even if it is not going to use it.
20
21 True.  It may improve how the hardware works.  One could test the
22 theory.  One could wait until the next kernel build to do it too.  Lots
23 of options there.  ;-)
26 >>>> Glad it's working now. I need a shower. I been cutting down trees and
27 >>>> dragging them to a pile to rot or burn. I'm tired, I stink which
28 >>>> requires a shower and I'm hungry. Cutting and getting rid of a 24 inch
29 >>>> across tree isn't easy when you have a 20 inch bar on the chainsaw. :/
30 >>> Thank you once more. And you should not rush to answer: my initial
31 >>> intention was to finally solve this problem till the end of this
32 >>> month, and now it is solved during only one weekend. :)
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >>
36 >> Well, when on this mailing list, you will get ideas pretty fast. Given
37 >> that you had things working but not making noise, my first thought was
38 >> the mute. I ran into that a couple times myself in the past. One would
39 >> think it would default to a low level but something you can hear. I
40 >> guess tho they think you should be forced to adjust the mixers and other
41 >> sound control settings so that you can enable/leave disabled to your
42 >> liking. It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other I guess. ;-)
43 >>
44 >> Back to cutting trees. Got my insect spray on today tho. Things sound
45 >> like large helicopters flying around out there. O-o
46 > Maybe, it makes sense to find an easier job? :)
51 I'm doing that on my place here.  Trying to make things better.  It's a
52 hard job and I'm amazed I have done as much as I have.  I'm about done
53 cleaning up what I started but I may not cut any more this year.  I can
54 tell my old joints are starting to get upset.
55
56 Did get some firewood for a friend out of it tho.
57
58 Dale
59