From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD microcode updates - where are they?!
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:42:36
1 On 2019.07.13 13:18, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 13 July 2019 17:21:40 BST Jack wrote:
3 > > On 2019.07.12 08:18, Mick wrote:
4 [snip....]
5 >> And, one question - if I have linux-firmware emerged with
6 >> savedconfig use flag set, what's the best/easiest way to hunt
7 >> through the actually available firmware, to check if I might have
8 >> missed something relevant. So far, I've just searched the git
9 >> repository for the package. I suppose I could have kept a copy of
10 >> the manifest from the initial emerge (without savedconfig) but I
11 >> didn't think of it at the time.
12 >
13 > Look under your /lib/firmware/ directory for the file you want to
14 > use, or the file dmesg complains is missing. For microcode there
15 > will be no complaining, but for other hardware there usually is
16 > something along the lines: "failed to load blah-blah.bin, file not
17 > found."
18 If linux-firmware is emerged with the savedconfig use flag, then only
19 the firmware not deleted from the config file is left. I did find a
20 few extras based on the "failed to load..." messages after my initial
21 overzealous trimming of that config file. My current concern is indeed
22 with the microcode, about which no complaint. Looking at the link
23 below shows me I am missing the files for my 17h family Ryzen CPU. It
24 will be a bit before I can reboot to see if it does load them once I
25 re-emerge linux-firmware to get them.
26
27 I'll update again once I've done that.
28
29 Jack