From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console serial terminal/console with command history?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:44:24
1 On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Grant Taylor
2 <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > On 05/22/2018 02:43 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Have you tried screen? It may have more features than kermit by default,
6 >> but it is intended for speaking with "smart" terminal devices and will do
7 >> lots of input processing.
10 > Are you saying that screen (and possibly tmux, etc.) have the ability to
11 > inject something like history and command line editing?
12 >
13 > I thought that they basically kept track of multiple TTYs (PTYs) and did
14 > some intelligent shuffling between them and / or copying & pasting of
15 > content therein. That seems significantly different than introducing
16 > something like readline / rlwrap like functionality.
19 Yes - screen *can* hold everything until you hit enter and allow you
20 to edit the line and do wrapping clientside. Screen also handles
21 control codes properly.
22
23 I just tried to find the exact settings but drew a blank. It doesn't
24 do local line editing by default. Local editing should be okay with a
25 normal device but it will not work well if your board runs Linux.