From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lost KDE
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:21:02
1 On 7/4/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 18:44, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >
5 > > It was missing, but I can't emerge kdebase because there are about 20
6 > > packages that are blocking it. Maybe that's the problem.
7 >
8 > This looks odd. You haven't mixed monolithic and meta packages by any
9 > chance?
10 >
11 > I would probably remove the blockers and try to re-emerge the required
12 > meta
13 > packages, but you may want to wait for a smarter suggestion.
16 I'm not sure what I did, it's so long ago. But I did try to follow
17 directions to undo my monolithic setup using the Gentoo docs on the topic.
18 I probably messed up, but that begs the question: why did it only show up
19 now, a few years later. It's not as if I haven't rebooted in the meanwhile;
20 I do it from time to time to update kernels.
21
22 It may be that I'm not using metas, but just emerged things I needed, and
23 let the dependencies do the rest.
24
25 Hmmmmm. The dime just dropped, because I did my first depclean fairly
26 recently, and dalek1967 just posted that kde-3.5 is part of kdebase-startdke
27 on his system, and I don't have that package installed. It's just that I
28 thought I rebooted after the depclean just to check things. (I had a fresh
29 backup of the root partition at that point).
30
31 ++ kevin
34 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD