From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless Configuration...
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:33:52
1 On Tuesday 06 Sep 2011 15:24:33 BRM wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message -----
3 >
4 > > From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
5 > >
6 > > On Saturday 03 Sep 2011 15:14:27 BRM wrote:
7 > >> ----- Original Message -----
8
9 > > I think the above should be either:
10 > >
11 > > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
12 > > ctrl_interface_group=wheel
13 > >
14 > > or,
15 > >
16 > > DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
17 >
18 > Ok. Corrected that to the first one.
19
20 Fine. I note that you said the wpa_gui won't scan further down this thread,
21 just in case ... is your user part of the wheel group?
22
23 > >> #ctrl_interface_group=wheel
24 > >> ap_scan=1
25 > >> fast_reauth=1
26 > >> # This blank configuration will automatically use DHCP for any net.*
27 > >> # scripts in /etc/init.d. To create a more complete configuration,
28 > >> # please review /etc/conf.d/net.example and save your configuration
29 > >> # in /etc/conf.d/net (this file :]!).
30 > >>
31 > >> # Standard Network:
32 > >> config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
33 > >
34 > > The old syntax you use here, which was ( "value" ) is now deprecated.
35 > > You
36 > > should replace all such entries by removing the brackets, e.g. the above
37 > > becomes:
38 > >
39 > > config_eth0="dhcp"
40 > >
41 > > This is explained in: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
42 >
43 > Corrected that one too. eth0 was working fine though.
44
45 Yes, because eth0 will default to dhcp, after the old syntax you were using
46 errors out or is ignored.
49 > > modules="wpa_supplicant"
50 > > wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
51 > > config_wlan0="dhcp"
52 >
53 > I re-enabled those and added the last line.
54
55 OK, wpa_supplicant should now work as intended.
58 > > You need to add or uncomment the following to your wpa_supplicant.conf:
59 > > =====================
60 > > network={
61 > > key_mgmt=NONE
62 > > priority=0
63 > > }
64 > > =====================
65 > > The above will let latch on the first available AP.
66 >
67 > I wasn't sure that that one was for. I've re-enabled it and the original
68 > one for my network.
69
70 OK, this is useful for open AP which accept connections. If they need
71 encryption you can add this using the wpa_gui.
74 > > Also, you can then add any AP of preference with passphrases and what
75 > > not: =====================
76 > > # Home Network
77 > > network={
78 > > ssid="MY-NETWORK"
79 > > # key_mgmt=IEEE8021X <--You don't need these entries here, unless
80 > > # eap=TLS <--you run SSL certs for authentication
81 > > wep_key0=DEADBEAF0123456789ABCDEF000
82 > > priority=1
83 > > auth_alg=OPEN
84 > > }
85 > > =====================
86 >
87 > Interestingly, wpa_supplicant complains if those two lines are not there
88 > even though I am not doing SSL auth.
89
90 Hmm ... what is the error/warning that comes up?
91
92 Either way, can you please add:
93
94 eapol_version=1
97 > > and something like this for WPA2:
98 > > =====================
99 > > network={
100 > > ssid="what-ever"
101 > > proto=RSN
102 > > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
103 > > pairwise=CCMP
104 > > auth_alg=OPEN
105 > > group=CCMP
106 > > psk"pass_123456789"
107 > > priority=5
108 > > =====================
109 >
110 > I want to try to get away from adding things directly to the
111 > wpa_supplicant.conf file as I would rather that the connection information
112 > be managed by a GUI tool.
113
114 You should be able to add such details in the GUI of choice. Adding them in
115 wpa_supplicant.conf means that they should appear already filled in the GUI.
118 > I'd rather use the NetworkManager in KDE than wpa_gui.
119 >
120 > That said, NetworkManager in KDE seems to be using wicd for some reason.
121
122 You need someone else to chime in here, because I use neither of these. As
123 far as I read in this M/L wicd is more or less fool-proof.
124
125 > I also have KDE running under Kubuntu on my work computer (4.6.2) and the
126 > Network Manager is completely different (don't know why) - it's not wicd
127 > as far as I can tell.
128 >
129 > However, They are still not working. wpa_gui refuses to scan and find
130 > networks; while wicd is not finding networks either - but there's so
131 > little information in the GUI that it is practically useless to say why.
132 > Perhaps I've got something at the KDE layer screwed up?
133
134 I don't know if one is causing a clash with the other, so don't try to use
135 both at the same time. If wicd is started automatically when you boot/login,
136 then just use that.
137
138 When wpa_gui refuses to scan what message do you get? What do the logs say.
139
140 Also, if wpa_gui or wicd fail to scan for APs what do you get from:
141
142 # iwlist wlan0 scanning
145 Regards,
146 Mick