From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] failed reiserfs partition - help!
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:07:08
1 James writes:
2
3 > My friend threw a theory out there -- maybe the beginning of the
4 > partition is incorrect on the drive? The drive originally had an NTFS
5 > partition. By blowing away the beginning of the drive and then
6 > rewriting the partition table, maybe the kernel was using the original
7 > "beginning" location of the NTFS partition which *may* be incorrect
8 > for the beginning of the reiserfs /dev/sdX1 partition. I did *NOT*
9 > reboot after making changes to the partition table (nor did I
10 > disconnect / reconnect the drive).
11 >
12 > Is this possible?
13
14 Hmmmmm. May be worth a try. I usually use the partprobe (sys-block/parted)
15 command to make the kernel recognize the new partition layout. Not sure if
16 this is always necessary.
17
18 > I'm 99.99999% sure this drive is not defective. There has to be some
19 > way to mount this partition as it was cleanly unmounted and the data
20 > copied over with no issues when I was originally doing it.
21 >
22 > Isn't there a way to search for a superblock on the drive and then use
23 > that when attempting to mount the partition?
24
25 Install app-admin/testdisk, this will allow to find and recreate deleted
26 partition schemes.
27
28 Good luck,
29